Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Today is the last day of the year...and the last day that I will be specifically focusing on my word, humility as I move on to a new word for the new year, This isn't the first time I have chosen this word to focus on for a whole year, I chose it in 2010. I've read a lot about humility and learned a lot about it but i still feel like I did when I started: an inchworm on the one yard line inching down the football field with 99 yards to go.  Humility is a trait that I'll always be trying to live into...it is not that easy to accomplish and say "Ok, I've got that one under my belt, time to move on." Once you think you've become humble is the exact moment you are not.



Because I'm a 2 on the Enneagram and a 2's signature sin is pride, I will always need to keep the desire for humility in front of me. But hopefully, I have a better understanding of how to do that now that it has been my focus for 12 months.  Thankfully I have Jesus to look towards to show me what it looks like and as I fix my attention on Him, I can keep that fruit of the Spirit in the forefront of my mind and heart. And what we gaze on is what we become.

I have a confession to make. I had every good intention of reading Andrew Murray's classic book, Humility, this year but never did.  I would like to read it in 2015, kind of as a "refresher" and maybe that is how God intended it to be, so that I continue to live into my way home.

The deepest humility is the secret of the truest happiness, of a joy that nothing can destroy. 
Andrew Murray

No comments:

Post a Comment